28 November 2012

Movember and the Bollywood moustache

As 'Movember November' is coming to an end, millions of men have turned to growing the 'Mo' to raise awareness of men's health issues. On a closing note to this charitable cause, I'd like to dedicate a post seeing which Bollywood actors have endorsed the moustache in their distinctive films across the years! What do you think of their Mo? We find out right here whether their Mo's were a fashionable hit or unattractive miss...Check out the scores below!


First up is none other than the 'khiladi' himself, who is working the moustache for one of his latest releases Rowdy Rathore. I'm not so sure whether Akshay did justice to the look,as the Mo looks incredibly thick that it works against his features. Sorry Akshay.

Score: 5/10


Next up is Junior Bachchan- Abhishek Bachchan in a quirky avatar for Bunty aur Babli. I honestly think Abhishek looks really good here, as he presents the Mo in a very light-hearted and comic manner. Other than the moustache looking artificial and brown in colour, Abhishek suits the look humourlessly-well.

Score: 7/10


Looking ever so smart and dashing above, we have Shahid Kapoor, and his look for his fathers film- Mausam. When I first saw Shahid with a Mo in this film I couldn't seem to digest his new-look, but as the film progresses and you begin to understand the character I'd say the Mo is ever so fitting! Over time I can see the best of Shahid in the moustache and although looking rather mature in this picture, he carries off the look effortlessly.

Score: 8/10

The 'Robin-hood' Pandey of Bollywod, also known as Salman Khan is seen here endorsing the Mo for his stupendous hit- Dabangg, last year. If we see Salman with or without a moustache, I don't think he looks flabbergastingly different, and when I first saw his look for this film I thought he quite simply suited the look without any drastic shock to his face! So for that reason he scores:

Score: 8/10

The one and only 'baadshah' of Bollywood, has had quite a few films with the moustache, one of them being the terrible look in Paheli. This, however, is Shah Rukh in the classic love story- Rab be bana di jodi, and his character Surinder grows a moustache to look the part of a loving, respectable husband. As much as I love Shah Rukh's character in the film, I'm afraid to say the moustache is not looking too good! Sorry...

Score: 6/10


Saif Ali Khan in Aarakshan, embraced the Mo for his film last year. With great deliberation over whether this look suited him well, my answer is NO! Although it may seem fitting for the films story-line, I do think Saif should either go clean shaven or keep the beard, as a half way goatie and moustache really does not do justice to his features. He looks so much older and not so attractive! Sorry Saif..

Score: 5/10

The future of the Mo, lies in these mans hands..the one and only Aamir Khan. For his upcoming release Talaash, Aamir endorses a very brash-looking moustache for the film as a police cop. Overall the Mo gives a stern and rigid look to his face, which suits him well. Without even knowing what the suspense behind the film is, I think Aamir has pulled off a great 'police look' with the Mo and brings the perfect look together. I'm much happier with this, than I ever was with his Mo in Mangal Pandey.

Score: 8/10


Saving the best till last is the legendary Amitabh Bachchan, in his classic look for Kasmey Vadey. Playing a younger role in a much earlier-dated film, Big B is looking fantastic as always and so charming. I do prefer him with a beard today, but this look of the 70s nonetheless embraces the Mo perfectly well. Good going Mr Bachchan!

Score: 8.5/10

What did you think of the Bollywood Mo's? What's your favourite? Before any of you ask why Anil Kapoor has not made the list, well it's because he has a moustache full time! So it doesn't really count folks!

Much love Movember readers!

Kin x